Staying Cool: Some Tips from Third Root Community Health Center by Julia Bennett, L.Ac./Herbalist
SIMPLE THINGS TO DO TO ENSURE A COOL AND HEALTHFUL SUMMER
* Hydrate – Drink water and cooling teas, even if you’re not thirsty
* Add cooling citrus to your water
* Hawthorn leaf and flowers aids in digestion and is a great tonic for the heart
* Choose from the following list of herbs to make cooling teas: Chrysanthemum flowers, Chamomile, Oatstraw, Astragulus (which by the way, boosts the immune system), Spearmint, Peppermint, Lemon Balm, Lemon Verbena, Lemon Grass, Dandelion, Sage, Lavender, Honeysuckle, Raspberry, Hisbicus.
* Try adding these herbs to your meals: Parsley, Basil, Cilantro, Sage, Lavender, Rosemary
* Make your meals in keeping with the season. Visit your local farmer’s market or get involved in a neighborhood CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program.
* Historically, those suffering from heat stroke are often deficient in potassium, so keep an ample supply of bananas, cantaloupe, and potatoes on hand for the summer.
* Green leafy vegetables are in season and excellent for keeping the body temperature down.
* Last, but certainly not least are the fruits. Fruit is really the joy of summer. Fruit is the highest expression of Nature’s gift to us for the summer. Cucumbers, Watermelon, Mulberries, Cantaloupe, Oranges, Tomatoes, Blueberries, Strawberries, Raspberries, Blackberries, Avocado, and Mango are all Summer fruits Nature has so generously provided to help cool us.
If you have any questions or concerns, please visit us at http://www.thirdroot.org and speak with one of our practitioners. We are always happy to share with you.
Have you been to Third Root Community Health Center?
location: 380 Marlborough Road, Brooklyn, NY 11226
Tel 718.940.9343, Fax 718.940.9345
They offer Yoga, Community Acupuncture, Herbal Consultations and Education, and Community Health Workshops
©2010 Danica Holoviak Arehart |